Namibian online dating Iraq chatrandom
Woermann-Linie, the operator of the shipping route to Germany, employed 600 Kru at that time.Swakopmund quickly became the main port for imports and exports for the whole territory, and was one of six towns which received municipal status in 1909.Swakopmund, Namibia, was founded two years later than Windhoek, in 1892, by Captain Curt von Francois as the main harbour of German South West Africa.Increased traffic between Germany and its colony necessitated establishing of own port as Walvis Bay, located 33 kilometres south, was already in British possession.The settlers had to build a ''caves'' on the beach to protect themselves against hostile weather.
Soon, the harbour created by the Mole silted up, and in 1905 work was started on a wooden jetty, but in the long run this was inadequate.It was founded in 1892 as the main harbour for German South-West Africa, and a sizable part of its population is still German-speaking today.The city lies on the B2 road and the Trans-Namib Railway from Windhoek to Walvis Bay. Buildings in the city include the Altes Gefängnis prison, designed by Heinrich Bause in 1909.Trading and shipping companies founded branches in Swakopmund. After German South-West Africa was taken over by the Union of South Africa in 1915, all harbour activities were transferred from Swakopmund to Walvis Bay. Businesses closed down, the number of inhabitants diminished, and the town became less prosperous.However, the natural potential of Swakopmund as a holiday resort was recognised, and this potential has subsequently been developed.
In 1914 construction of a steel jetty was therefore commenced, the remains of which can still be seen today. It was declared structurally unsound and was closed to the public for seven years, and in 2006 renovations to the portion supported by concrete pillars were completed, with a seafood restaurant and sushi bar being added to the end portion of the steel portion of the jetty soon after.